RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Meetmeataqueduct

- Meetmeatthechapel (3-1) makes his second start for Kasey K at the Big A on Friday, a 25-20K claimer for three year olds for a generous purse of $33,000. Maybe he has a slight class edge in here. He did graduate in an open 40K claimer at the Meadowlands at this distance, and has run competitively in the Starters Allowance 50Ks class; more than one can say for the others in here. However, his fastest races have come at one turn sprint distances, so we'll see. Lexington Ave (5-2) added blinkers and wired a fucking weak 20K field at 3-5...and I can guarantee that you won't read that in Jerry Bossert's analysis. Boyfriendontheside (9-2) is a little intriguing stretching out for Anthony Dutrow; how many cheap claimers like this - or any horses for that matter - do you see with inbreeding to Ribot and Minnesota Mac?

In the 5th on Thursday, Gallant Again ($6.20) won off the drop for Greg DiPrima, and was claimed by Michael Maker for himself. DiPrima had claimed this one from Maker for 16K two back, except he was owned by Ken Ramsey at the time; so a little interesting I guess to see Maker take him back for himself. River Mountain Rd was second at 9-1 for Joe Imperio, one of the real live barns on the grounds right now. Chief Export ($7.50) won the 5th on Wednesday for Imperio, and his first-timer Amaysing Orphan was second in that day's 9th at 4-1. Imperio, who had won just one race this year prior, now has a record of 5-4-3 with his last 15 starters.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The Derby Exacta starts today along with pool 2. I'm not really looking to bet anything here unless the weekend yields some interesting prices. The Field @ 7-1 or better seems like it could happen and I consider it a great bet, 6-1 not bad.

As far as this weekends races go:

San Felipe: Looks like a walkover for Pioneer of the Nile, he's training like a monster. His problem my be that he's scared the competition off and may only face a couple horses - which could always lead to a fucked up race. Anyways, if he loses a 3 or 4 horse race because of pace issues, his price could drift as high as 20-1 in the futures and might be worth a bet. (He's actually 18-1 now, but only 25k bet in pool 2)

Lousiana Derby: I'm excited for this one. So many exciting potential outcomes. A Papa Clem win shows west coast dominance, and I think this one can do it. Almost has a little Gayego feel to it, although I think he went in the Arkansas Derby. I'll be betting big at 5-1 or better. An epic fail by Patena here would lead to IEAH buying another horse, or announcing that Stardom Bound is indeed their Derby horse. I think Dutrow has this one ready - and thats why Iavarone was speaking so freely about Stardom bound being out, but I can't bet it to win. Exacta material. Giant Oak and Fresian fire will have their chance to impress me.

Rebel: This is the race to find a nice one. I'm not sold on Silver City at all, and neither is his jockey who takes off the mount. Old Fashioned has done nothing wrong, and could sit the same trip he did last time out, but I'm looking to find an improving horse or two to make some nice bets on.

Tampa Bay Derby: I think General Quarters looks decent, if not seasoned, but I'm taking my shot with the Zito entry Nowhere to Hide. He scratches from the LA derby for this, and might go off a juicy price. Having Alan Garcia up is always nice too.

steve in nc said...

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's card. Haven't started handicapping yet, but I see NO MAIDEN RACES on the entire card! Of course there may be races for horses that have only beaten the stable goat to the sweet feed bucket. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Steve I have to disagree again, I see a race for nw2 races vs. stable goat to the sweet feed bucket or 5yo that have never stomped on a stall mouse;-)

Filled with only 5, so someone wanted this one to go.

If you are one of those impressed with Dunkirk need to take a long look at Warrior's Reward in the TB Derby. Made a big middle move when carrying my money, only to flatten out when looked in the eye by Kirk.

Alan Mann said...

That's not a bad little five horse race, assuming you're referring to the third. And I think that the ML favorite is highly vulnerable here. Her maiden win came on a muddy track, and she has a Tomlinson number of 441. She was back in the pack on a fast track, and going around two turns. I think that McVictory, at 8-1 the longest shot in the field, is worth a look, coming off an even 4th against What A Pear in the Wistful. Pattern of improving figs, and I like the rider switch back to Maragh.

steve in nc said...

A little scary, Alan, but I have to agree with you on that 3rd race. If the chalk runs near his debut # (it isn't like AP Indys need slop to win), we'll both be ripping tickets, but if he's chalk you have to try to beat him until he runs well at a route.

I also will be with you in the 6th trying to beat the chalk with the slow #s, but not with your Kasey K horse (want him sprinting). I'll hope Zito's horse bounces and play the two stretch-out longshots, especially Gold Prospect.

These are some small fields. If anon is right, the stable mice must be ubiquitious and underfoot. PETA had better step in soon and start stomping the horses to protect the rodents. What do those guys feed their carnivorous pets?

Erin said...

Congrats Alan!

Wonder why the Dutrow horse scratched.